Does Your Garage Door Need to be Replaced In Indiana?
Replacing a garage door can greatly increase a house’s curb appeal and boost its overall value. In addition, of all the home improvement projects you can take on, given cost and results, replacing a garage door has a dependably high return on investment.
But how much are you going to have to lay out?
The answer depends a lot on what you’re looking to do. Most home or business owners can expect the costs to be between $600 and $1,700 for a professional replacement. Considering supplies and labor, the national average is around $1,200.
A Closer Look At Garage Door Replacement Costs
The typical cost for a professional garage door replacement, including removing the old door and its components and installing the new door, will vary. It’s essential to keep that in mind. In addition, the specifics of your project, such as the size and caliber of the garage door, will influence the precise cost.
For instance, you might choose to have a basic non-insulated aluminum or steel garage door built on existing tracks. This could cost as little as $400. Alternately, homeowners wishing to splurge may spend up to $4,700 on a high-end door with all the extras. Something like this might be a double garage door for two cars and made of a luxury material like glass or high-quality wood.
Determining a final budget comes down to your needs and what style, materials, and extras you’re willing to pay for.
How many cars does your garage hold? The size of the garage determines the number and size of garage doors. Average prices for different sizes break down like this:
- One-car garage doors are 7 to 10 feet wide and 7 to 8 feet tall and can cost between $500 to $2,000, depending on style and materials.
- Two-car garages could cost between $1,100 and $4,700 for two single doors, or you could have a single door at double-width (usually between 16 and 24 feet wide) for between $800 to $4,200.
- Three-car garage options follow a similar cost progression. Replacing three single garage doors could cost between $1,700 to $7,400. Single and double-door replacements could run you between $1,500 to $6,700.
Garage Door Type
Like other visible outdoor home features, an adequately selected garage door can increase a home’s curb appeal. Garage door opening styles differ. A garage door may roll up onto ceiling tracks to conserve space or swing forward for a more rustic aesthetic.
Practicality and appearance should help guide your choice. Some garage door types will work better for your home or business than others.
Here are some common garage door types, along with average costs.
- Tilt-up – Made of one large solid piece of material instead of panels. It usually needs to be opened manually and requires enough free space to swing out when opening. Cost: $500 to $1,600
- Sectional – Made of several smaller panels hinged together that rides up along a track. It often comes with an automatic opener and does not need extra room to open. It is the most common type of garage door seen in the US. Cost: $500 to $1,800
- Roll-up – Rolls into a bundle as opposed to sliding into tracks. While installation can be complex, this type of door is known for its durability and lack of need for repairs or maintenance. Cost: $700 to $2,500
- Carriage House – Features double doors that swing out from the middle. While it needs space for opening, it can give a home an upscale appearance. These doors often come in many architectural designs featuring arched or rounded tops and glass windows. Cost: $1,000 to $7,000
The cost of materials and installation varies greatly, even for garage doors of the same style. Every type of garage door is available in various sizes, materials, and models, some of the better or worse quality than other brands.
Garage Door Material
While there is a wide range of materials to choose from, most garage doors are composed of inexpensive aluminum or steel. However, if you’re willing to spend a bit more money, you can select materials with a bit more style, like wood, glass, or vinyl—which usually requires less maintenance.
When selecting the materials for your garage door, consider future costs. For instance, wood will need regular upkeep and repairs. Glass panels may need to be replaced in part or whole.
The installation of a glass, fiberglass, or wooden garage door should be done by a professional. Before hiring a contractor, be sure they have previous experience with the type of garage door you desire.
Here are some average costs (including material and labor) to consider:
- Aluminum – $600 to $3,000
- Steel – $650 to $3,100
- Wood composite – $800 to $4,500
- Vinyl – $800 to $2,500
- Fiberglass – $900 to $3,000
- Wood – $900 to $4,500
- Glass – $1,000 to $5,000
Size, type, and material are the most significant factors when estimating the cost of a garage door replacement or installation. Still, they are far from the only factors to take into account. When pricing garage door replacement cost or new garage door installation cost, you should also look at options for:
- Garage door opener systems
Frequently Asked Questions About Garage Door Installation or Replacement
Here are some of the most common questions people ask about garage doors.
How Often Should a Garage Door Be Replaced?
Assuming you conduct yearly maintenance on your garage door and regularly check for damage or wear, a garage door should last decades. Unfortunately, keeping the same garage door for thirty years or more is common.
How Long Does It Take to Remove and Replace a Garage Door?
The answer to that question depends on the size and style of the door. Generally, it takes a trained professional between three and seven hours to remove the old garage door and install the new one. The more complex the installation or if new components are added, such as openers or walk-through doors, the longer it may take.
Can You Install a New Garage Door on Old Tracks?
If the new door is exactly the same size and style as the old door, then you should be able to install it on the tracks that were previously used. That said, installing new tracks and hardware is typically included in the cost of having a professional replace a garage door. So if you’re already paying for it, it makes more sense to install the new tracks and hardware.
Do New Garage Doors Come with Warranties?
Garage door warranties vary significantly among manufacturers, but all high-quality doors will have some form of warranty protection. Professional garage door installation and service providers may also offer standard or extended service warranties. Don’t be afraid to ask when selecting a garage door specialist.
Garage Door Installation by Hostetler & Askew Door
At Hostetler & Askew Door, your safety and satisfaction are our top priorities. If your garage door is showing its age or you’re looking to have a new one installed, you want efficient service you can rely on. Hostetler & Askew Door gives you that.
We will send one of our experts to your home or business to offer a quote on installing, replacing, or repairing your garage door as quickly as possible.
We are ready for your call. 574.444.9700