Crunch! When Your Car Meets the Garage Door
It’s a chilly Indiana morning. The alarm didn’t go off, your kids decided breakfast was better on the floor than in their mouths, and your coffee machine decided today was a good day to retire. You hear a crunching sound when you think it couldn’t get worse. You forgot to open the garage door before backing out. We’ve all had those days; if you haven’t, consider yourself fortunate. For homeowners across Indiana, this guide by Hostetler & Askew aims to help you navigate the aftermath of such a mishap.
Immediate Steps Post-Accident
After an accidental collision with your garage door, it’s essential to remain calm and prioritize safety. Follow these steps to ensure the well-being of everyone involved and to assess the situation accurately:
- Place your vehicle in ‘park.’
- Engage the emergency brake.
- Turn off the engine.
- Check the well-being of everyone in the vehicle.
- Step out and inspect the damage to both the car and the garage door.
- Take photographs of the damages for future reference.
Understanding Your Garage Door
Most homeowners don’t realize the resilience of their garage doors until something goes wrong. The bottom half of the door is the typical casualty in these accidents.
However, before you try any heroics to salvage the situation, it’s important to note while most garage doors can handle a fair bit of weight, their mechanisms are intricate. Springs and cables, in particular, are under significant tension and should be dealt with with utmost caution.
Dealing with the Damage
While it’s natural to want to check if a slightly damaged garage door still functions, it’s crucial to exercise caution. Keep the following in mind:
- Operate from a safe distance using remote controls.
- Be alert for unusual noises, unexpected movements, or any misalignments.
- If anything seems off, stop immediately and consult a garage door professional.
Navigating the insurance landscape can be a challenge. It’s essential to understand the distinctions between auto and homeowners’ insurance. Your car’s insurer won’t cover garage door repairs and vice versa.
Before making a claim, examine your deductibles. Sometimes, the out-of-pocket expense without claiming insurance might be more economical.
Repair Costs and Considerations
The type and age of your garage door can impact the repair process and associated costs. Keep these factors in mind:
- Older doors might have hard-to-find parts, while newer models may have complex systems.
- Weighing the cost of parts against the expertise of professional labor is crucial; the right expert can ensure a long-term solution over a quick fix.
Need Immediate Help?
Accidents happen. And while backing into your garage door might feel embarrassing, it’s a situation many homeowners face. Remember, safety first, and when in doubt, seek professional guidance.
You’re in good hands with our years of experience serving Indiana communities. Contact us for immediate service or consultations. 574.444.9700